11th-15th July 2023: University of Limerick
The 18th biennial conference of the Early Book Society will be hosted by Carrie Griffin and Eleanor Giraud at the University of Limerick from 11th to 14th July 2023, with an excursion on 15th July. Confirmed keynote speakers include John Thompson, Emeritus Professor, Queen’s University Belfast, and Lisa Fagin Davis, Executive Director, Medieval Academy of America. Planned activities include an early music concert and hands-on use of the university’s printing press. Please mark your calendars.
We invite proposals for 20-minute papers, themed panels (three papers and a chair), roundtables, and 5-minute lightning papers (ideal for work-in-progress updates). Scholars at all levels, including graduate students and early career researchers, are cordially invited to participate.
Papers can consider any of the following, with an emphasis on physical aspects of the manuscript or book:
- Manuscripts and books as memorial artifacts
- Manuscripts and books as shapers of literary or historical culture
- Study of a specific manuscript or book that memorializes a family (or promotes a dynasty)
- Women makers or owners
- Readers or networks of readers
- Makers of manuscripts and books
- Manuscripts and books commissioned as memorials for persons or events
- Sammelbände, collected volumes, and early libraries
We are also particularly interested in hearing about Irish collections and books with Irish connections.
Abstracts (up to 250 words for papers, 500 words for panels, or 100 words for lightning papers) should be sent to [email protected] by 1st December 2022.
Any preliminary queries should be addressed to: [email protected]. Further information will be posted at www.earlybooksociety.com and www.ebslimerick2023.wordpress.com in due course.